Matthew 13:44 The Kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all that he had and bought that field.
Joy is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) and faith always functions hand in hand with the Holy Spirit’s fruit. But if you want to learn to be strong in faith, allow joy to rise up within you.
Nehemiah 8:10 says, The joy of the Lord is your strength. Psalm 16:11 says In His presence there is fullness of joy…
Joy doesn’t come through “your works”, but through the “work” (fruit) of the Holy Spirit in your life.
- You will not get this fruit of Joy through “Self Help”. Self Help may produce a form of happiness, but it’s not the fruit of Joy that comes from the Spirit of God.
- You will not get this fruit of Joy through “Religion”. Religion is all about being conformed to a set of rules. But the Spirit of Joy comes from being transformed by the Holy Spirit.
- You get this fruit through “Relationship”. It's a faith-based relationship with Christ through His Spirit which is not determined by your feelings.
Our scripture today says, “like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it… and then in his joy, he sold all he had and bought that field...”
This text reveals three kingdom truths about Joy:
1. Joy sees what is valuable.
Joy enables you to see what is truly of value in your life – family; spouse; children; church – these are the priceless things in life.
2. Joy sees where to invest.
The man sells everything so he can invest all he has in this priceless treasure. Jesus is the priceless treasure and when you invest your life in Him, He not only gives you eternal life but abundant life now.
3. Joy sees the Kingdom of Heaven.
The treasure was bigger and greater than the life of this man. And what God wants to do is give you a Vision for your life that is bigger than just your own life. The Kingdom of Heaven will cause you to look beyond just your own life and to the world that surrounds you.
Let me encourage you to allow God’s Kingdom joy to rise within you, opening your eyes to what is truly invaluable. It will show you how and where to invest your life and to bring the Kingdom of Heaven into the world around you.
God bless you.