Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise.
The Bible is an incredibly practical book. It is not a theoretical book. It is filled with stories about people’s lives. That’s what makes it practical. In particular, I love the book of Proverbs. It is filled with wisdom. It has been called the ‘businessperson's book’ because it will teach you wisdom for everything you need in your life – for business, for parenting, for marriage, for all important decisions.
Here in Proverbs 11:30 is one of the greatest pieces of business advice you will ever receive: “he who wins souls is wise." If you can win a person over to you, you will succeed in life! If people like you, trust you, believe that you genuinely care about their needs and interests you will win them over. They will become your greatest advertisement in life!
But let’s take a casual walk along the path of Proverbs 11, it is full of priceless gems…
12 He who is devoid of wisdom despises his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his peace.
- How many times have you heard about grievances and disputes between neighbors? But here wisdom says, if you are going to have to spend a lot of time with people, whether as neighbors, work colleagues, or even family, it is far better to always work toward peace, rather than trying to change other people.
13 A talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter.
- This is talking about gossipers. They are always captivated by some tale or gossip. Don’t be a person who is quick to hear gossip or spread gossip – a faithful person will work toward concealing a matter, to protect the best interests of another person, even if it is true!
14 Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors, there is safety.
- For all your important decisions in life, seek counsel. Ask a number of people that you trust and have a proven life themselves. Seek the counsel of successful business people for business, and spiritual leaders like pastors for relationships, life decision, and God’s wisdom. But seek the counsel of several people. They will all give you a piece of knowledge or insight that enables you to see more.
22 As a ring of gold in a swine's snout, so is a lovely woman who lacks discretion.
- Now discretion is for everyone. But the Bible says that a woman who lacks discretion is like a pig wearing the most beautiful jewelry. Ladies, guard your honor, your dignity and be discreet. Don’t be gluttonous, greedy, self-opinionated or self-oriented. Proverbs 31 reveals the qualities of the woman with wisdom.
25 The generous soul will be made rich, and he who waters will also be watered himself.
- The attitude of generosity is going to distinguish you from the crowd. It’s the person who gives, uplifts and encourages other people that will receive all of this in life, and much, much more!