1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
The Apostle Paul was a man who would have stood out today. He would have been the type of person who graduated from not one, but several of the Ivy League Universities like Harvard, Princeton, Oxford or Cambridge. He was a brilliant and a well-educated man.
Yet after all this learning and wisdom he says, “For I determined to know nothing except Christ and Him crucified.” In other words, Paul is saying that he had his mind fully on Christ and His finished work on the cross. Paul was “cross-conscious.”
What does it mean to be “cross-conscious?” Should we be mindful of all the things that we have done wrong, and that’s why Christ went to the cross? No. To be cross-conscious is to understand what Christ did for you on the cross. It is being conscious of several things:
1. Of God’s love for you – It was God’s love for you that motivated Him to send His Son to the cross (John 3:16; 1 John 4:10). And there is nothing that can separate you from His love (Romans 8:31).
2. Jesus paid your debt – Humanity could not redeem itself from the enslavement of sin. When it comes to all your sin, you do not deal with it through penance or even through good works – it’s remembering Jesus took it all upon Himself and nailed it to the cross.
3. Of what Jesus purchased for you – Jesus finished work on the cross is what makes you a joint-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17). And every promise of God now belongs to you. But Jesus purchased two things in particular on the cross – “forgiveness” through His blood and “healing” through His body. These have been purchased by Christ for you. Healing belongs to you as much as forgiveness of sins.2 Corinthians 5:21 says God made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.
Carrying a cross-consciousness is reminding yourself over and over about the powerful things Christ has done for you through the cross.
- Be reminded that God’s love for you is unconditional and without any limitations.
- Be reminded that you are unable to redeem yourself and you are completely dependent upon what Christ has done for you.
- Be reminded of the blood of Christ that forgives all your sins and protects you from your spiritual enemy.
- Be reminded that Jesus purchased your salvation on that cross which means deliverance from sin, sickness and death and the provision of wellness, peace, abundant and eternal life.